Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Fresh Lemon Thin Layered Flan!


"It seems as lemon is the new fresh ingredient to add to just about anything!"


It's been a very long time since I post. My apologies to my faithful followers. I do confess that I have been working on several things at once and was a bit overwhelmed but enough of sad stories I am back and I hope this recipe makes up for my absence.


Let's start by mentioning this very easy recipe. Fresh Lemon Flan Thin Layered "Yum!" Flan is a custard. If you have not had one you must have this little piece of heaven. Many will agree with me on this or not but not everyone knows how to do "flan" and sometimes it is just up to your personal taste. That being said, this is how I love to do my Lemon Flan and my family loves it.

In my case I cook with love and I'm still learning. I am not a chef and don't claim to be. But, who doesn't want some sweetness in their lives?

This recipe is so EASY you will do it all the time trust me. In my case my husband never let's it get to the next day.

Note: You will not need to create a caramel sauce for this recipe. You don't need one but if you prefer to have one then do so.


INGREDIENTS
 
2 cans of evaporated milk
granulated sugar or 1 condensed milk can
1 lemon
2 tbsp. vanilla
4 eggs
 
THAT IS ALL!
 
EVAPORATED MILK

1- IN A BLENDER OR MIXER  ADD THE 2 CANS OF EVAPORATED MILK BE SURE TO ALWAYS SHAKE THE MILK BEFORE YOU POUR OUT. AGAIN, THIS IS THE BRAND I USE YOU DO NOT NEED TO USE THE SAME ONE.
 
 
 
YOU'RE TRYING TO HAVE A LESS FAT "FLAN"?  NO PROBLEM!
EVAPORATED MILK ALSO COMES IN 2% LOW FAT MILK AND TO BE HONEST IT TASTE THE SAME TO ME.
 
 
 
SUGAR
 
OK HERE COMES THE SUGAR PART OR CONDENSED MILK. I DO NOT EVER SAY HOW MUCH SUGAR YOU WILL NEED IN YOUR DESSERTS ONLY BECAUSE WE ALL LIKE SWEETNESS AT DIFFERENT LEVELS.
 
 
HINT: ALWAYS ADD SUGAR BEFORE ADDING EGGS TO YOUR DESSERT RECIPES THAT WAY YOU DON'T HAVE TO TASTE EGGS OR SWALLOW THEM.
 
 
ADD SUGAR GRADUALLY UNTIL YOU HAVE THE AMOUNT OF SWEETNESS YOU PREFER. YOU CAN TRY TO ADD 2 TSP OF SUGAR AT A TIME, BLEND AND TASTE.
 
                                                  
 
 
 
 
CONDENSED MILK
 
IF USING CONDENSED MILK ADD HALF THE CAN FIRST BLEND AND THEN TASTE. KEEP ADDING UNTIL YOU ARE CONTENT WITH SWEETNESS. BLEND.
 
 

 
 
VANILLA
 
I personally love vanilla. The richness of it's flavor in desserts is amazing.
 
 
All you need is 2 tsp or 1 vanilla bean. (cut the vanilla bean in half and with a spoon scrape the vanilla beans out) Blend.
 
 
 
 
 EGGS

You will need 4 eggs. If your would like to add more it is up to you. I personally like my "flan" a bit firm but smooth. I don't like soggy and I don't like eggy flan. Blend.

 
 
ZESTER/GRATER
 
Take your zester grater and 1 lemon. You are going to grate the whole lemon.
 
ONLY THE YELLOW PART. PLEASE DO NOT ZEST THE WHITE PART.
 
 
Once you have grated the whole lemon take all of the zest and add to the blender mix.
 
Blend.
 
 
 
Once all of the yellow is off the lemon cut it in half. Take 1 of the halves and squeeze it into the mix or separate bowl and then add.
 
Use the other half for anything else you would like.
 
Blend.
 

 

In a mold of your choice add the mixture in. I have used all sorts of molds but for this recipe I really like the disposable ones. For some reason it keeps the flan so much more moist. 9x 9 is good but it doesn't have to be since it's a thin layer flan. The larger the mold the thinner. The smaller the mold the taller the flan that is all.
 You can add it in a "bano de maria" or NOT.

 A"bano de maria" is simply when you add another mold (bigger than the one you are using) and add water to it. You then place the mold where your mixture is in at the center of this "water bath". This keeps the flan (custard) very moist.

I did not use the "water bath" because this recipe is so moist you won't need it. You don't even need the caramel sauce at the bottom!

If you still want the caramel please feel free to make it and add it.
 
 
 
 
Pre- heat the oven to 350 degrees.
 
After about 30 min of putting it all in the oven check on the flan.
 
 
Hint: I don't poke and poke all the time to see if it is done. I move the mold carefully and if it is watery I leave it alone. If it is firm I then take a toothpick and poke the center. If it comes out clean then it is done. If it is still wet then it needs more time. Give it 10 to 15 minutes more. But keep an eye on it.

Once it is done. Take it out and let it rest for 30 to 45 minutes and the put in refrigerator. Once cold, enjoy!!

 

You can eat it with what ever you like or alone is just great. I added a bit of whip cream and all I can say is yummy!







 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Visitor's